Small City, GIANT Living

Police Department

The prime functions of the Blue Earth Police Department include the protection of life and property; the preservation of the public peace and order; the prevention and detection of crime; the gathering of facts, evidence and information necessary for effective prosecution of criminal cases; the apprehension of offenders; carrying out the lawful orders of the court; assisting other police agencies and sheriff’s departments in cases originating outside of our jurisdiction; enforcement of the City of Blue Earth & County of Faribault Ordinances and Codes, and the laws of the State of Minnesota and the federal government of the United States of America.

For information from the BEPD on body worn cameras, read the BWC Policy.

Tom Fletcher

Chief of Police

Phone (non-emergency): 507.526.5959
Fax: 507.526.2531
Mailing Address: PO Box 38, Blue Earth, MN 56013
Physical Address: 120 S Walnut St, Blue Earth, MN 56013
How do I contact a police officer?
If it is an emergency, call 911. If it is a non-emergency you may call 526.5959. If no one is in the office, our automatic answering system will pick up the call. If you want to talk to a live person (Sheriff’s Office Dispatcher) press 1. To leave a message for the Chief of Police press 2. To leave a message for a police officer press 3 and choose from the options. The Blue Earth Police Department has an officer on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. If something happens in the middle of the night or on a weekend or on a holiday there will be an officer on duty ready to answer your call.
How do I get a copy of a police report?
Because there is not always an officer in the office, it is best to call and make arrangements to pick up a report. An officer can be met at the office or the report can be left at City Hall where it can be picked up during normal business hours.
Is there a curfew for juveniles?
Yes, there is a county-wide curfew that each of the cities, including Blue Earth, have adopted.  For youth 16 & 17 years old, the curfew is 12:00 midnight. For anyone under the age of 16, the curfew is 10:00 p.m. The restrictions end the following morning at 5:00 a.m. There are exceptions when the child is with a parent or guardian, if the child is going directly home from a school, church, or civic event, or is out because of employment.
Do I have to have my dog on a leash?
It is unlawful for any person who owns, harbors, or keeps a dog or a cat to allow the animal to run at large. “At large” is defined as being off of the premises of the owner and not under custody and control of the owner or other person, either by leash, cord, chain, or otherwise restrained or confined. In addition, all dogs and cats over the age of 6 months must be registered with the city. It is unlawful for any owner or caretaker of any dog or other animal to allow such animal to defecate on any property, not owned by him or her, without cleaning up after the animal and disposing of the waste in a proper manner.
I don't have any prior violations, why didn't I just get a warning?
If we only gave tickets to people with prior violations, nobody would ever get a ticket. Police officers are hired to enforce the laws and, in the case of traffic laws, that is done by issuing tickets. There are many times that a warning is given by the officer and it is always up to his or her discretion. There are many factors that go into making that decision. The seriousness of the offense, the amount of traffic or the time of day, and the attitude of the driver are a few examples. Just remember, if you violate the law you deserve a ticket. If you only receive a warning, consider yourself fortunate and please take the warning to heart.
Are ATVs allowed on city streets?
Although ATVs are manufactured as “off road vehicles” they are allowed to be driven on city streets under certain circumstances and with restrictions. First of all they must be registered with the City. Only a person with a valid driver’s license is allowed to drive upon the streets. They cannot be driven on any street that is a trunk highway, county-state aid highway or county road (see the ATV Snowmobile Map). They are to only be driven into or out of the city, it is not intended that they be used for intra-city travel. They can only be driven on the streets during daylight hours. Copies of the rules are available at the Police Station or City Hall.
What special rules do snowmobiles have to operate on the streets?
The operation of snowmobiles within the city is for ingress to or egress away from the City of Blue Earth, not for intra-city travel. Snowmobiles cannot be operated on County State Aid Highways or Trunk Highways within the City of Blue Earth (see the ATV Snowmobile Map). Snowmobiles cannot be operated between the hours of 1:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Snowmobiles cannot be operated on any public property within the City (Putnam Park, Fairgrounds, 14th Street ball fields, etc). A snowmobile cannot be operated at more than 15 mph on any street and must stop at every intersection. A snowmobile cannot be operated on any boulevard or sidewalk within the City (except the sidewalk of the bridge over the Blue Earth River on Highway 169). The driver of a snowmobile must possess a valid driver’s license and, if born after 12/31/1976, a valid Snowmobile Safety Certificate to operate upon any street.